problem programming the tk 730/help!

Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Commercial Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

fatcat235

problem programming the tk 730/help!

Post by fatcat235 »

Hello everyone. I am having a problem programming my tk 730.I am using the KPG7D software and it will not read from the radio. When I hit the function to read it,the "progress box" shows block and will not read the radio or write to the radio. I am using the radio programming cable from a company from {@bay}.I don't know if my program is defective or if it has a programming "block" set up inside the radio. Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Also,I have another 730 that is already programmed. Could I clone it using a mike cable? Thanks everyone.
ka7wnf

Re: problem programming the tk 730/help!

Post by ka7wnf »

Have you put the radio into program mode?

Can you test you cable on a known good radio?

Did you set the correct comm port in the software?

No, you can't clone the 730 from the mic cable.
Last edited by ka7wnf on Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
fatcat235

Post by fatcat235 »

I placed it in program mode,showing pg on the display. I'm using com 1 and it has been working fine with another radio cable and radio that I have been using. I haven't tried it on my other 730 yet,because I was afraid it might mess it up.
I will have to try it on the other 730 asap. When the program tries to read the radio or write to the radio,the progress window shows "block" and will not show a % of being done.
ka7wnf

Post by ka7wnf »

On some cables they need to get power from the radio to work. Pin 1 of the mic plug, which is closest to the channel knob, should have 12 volts when the radio is on. Inside the control head is a resistor (R-6) that is sometimes clipped to prevent reading or programming radios. The EEPROMS are preprogrammed and plugged in when the were built for some customers and they didn't program them through the mic connector. If you find no power at that pin dissassemble the control head and look for R-6 missing or cut. It's a fairly large resistor. Like a 1/4 watt size.

http://www.eurekaboy.com/tk730/
This guy posted schematics that might be of help.