What is TOR?

Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Commercial Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

boteman

What is TOR?

Post by boteman »

Just curious, as a search did not reveal the answer: what does TOR stand for?

Tone Operated Relay?

Talkgroup Operated Relay?

I'm getting my feet wet with Kenwood and its terminology.

Thanks!
jim202

Re: What is TOR?

Post by jim202 »

Not trying to sound like I am giving you a hard time, but it might help if you give us some sort of context in where there this is being used.

Are you talking about a radio, a console, a sail boat, a truck or just what?

Jim
boteman

Post by boteman »

I assumed that having posted this under "Kenwood Commercial Products" would have placed it into context.

On a Kenwood TK-980 or TK-7180 or other applicable radio, there is a setting that I have read others discussing (not seen with my own eyes) under "Squelch Logic" which includes COR/TOR.

Simply an informational question out of curiosity. I have seen COR for Carrier-Operated Relay, COS for Carrier-Operated Switch, RUS for Receive Unsquelched Indicator, so I'm curious what this acronym means, that's all.

I figured those who have encountered this before would pick up on it immediately. Thanks.
wowbagger

Post by wowbagger »

Given the context, perhaps TOR stands for Tone Operated Relay - an output controlled by the detection of CTCSS?
MSS-Dave

Post by MSS-Dave »

On a Kenwood TK-980 or TK-7180 or other applicable radio, there is a setting that I have read others discussing (not seen with my own eyes) under "Squelch Logic" which includes COR/TOR
I kinda skimmed the service manual for a TK981 and couldn't find a reference for TOR directly. Squelch logic is AND/OR for options signalling. There is also a port on the option board terminal for squelch signal output. Depending on the logic type, you can select "carrier operate relay" or "tone operate relay". That is software selectable and would be used to drive the horn alert relay (or whatever you hook to it..) This should mean that you could program to activate the relay with proper PL or DQT or just with carrier.