5300 Ign sense line...needs fused?

Forum dedicated to discussion on EF Johnson Radio products such as the VP8000, VP6000, VP5000, VM7000, VM6000, radios. Support for Armada software platform.

Moderator: willbartlett

kj5kb

5300 Ign sense line...needs fused?

Post by kj5kb »

The "switched hot" or "Ignition sense" line that goes through the accessory connector...does it actually power any logic on the radio...or is it indeed just a sense line?

I'm debating whether it should have a small ~1-3A fuse in it or not...
Intrinsically Safe

Re: 5300 Ign sense line...needs fused?

Post by Intrinsically Safe »

It only carries the 12v needed to tell the logic that yes the key is in the on position, go ahead and power up.
You don't NEED it, but as anyone should tell you anytime you have power lines running a length a fuse is always a good idea to prevent possible fire etc...
Sean Penn: Last year I went to Iraq. Before Team America showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.
kj5kb

Post by kj5kb »

That's what I was wondering. Some radios, like my GE Delta, use the switched hot lead to power everything except the PA - so you don't want to stick too small of a fuse on it.

So if it's just a sense line, a 1A or even .25A would be fine...small inline fuseholders are certainly cheap enough.

Thanks!
Intrinsically Safe

Post by Intrinsically Safe »

The ign sense line for the EFJ comes with a 1A fuse.
Sean Penn: Last year I went to Iraq. Before Team America showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.
kj5kb

Post by kj5kb »

Thanks...1A it is! Out of several I've worked on, NONE have a fuse in the sense line.