Kenwood TK-2200 Field Programming

Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Commercial Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

KC1FMG

Kenwood TK-2200 Field Programming

Post by KC1FMG »

Hello - first time poster here.

I have a pair of Kenwood TK-2200L radios (and a single TK-2200), and I am able to program them with the KPG88D software. However, I would like to be able to re-program the frequencies in the field, away from a computer. According to the manual, I should be able to do this by entering a setup mode that is accesses by holding the PTT and PF1 keys while turning the radio on. However, this doesn't seem to work, the radio just beeps and operates normally.

I am able to set other modes, like VOX (hold PF1 key while turning on) and CLONE (hold PTT and PF2 key while turning on), but not the frequency setup mode (PTT and PF1 key while turning on).

Am I doing something wrong, or is the frequency setup mode something that can be 'locked out' by the programming software? I have looked at all the settings in the software, but nothing is jumping out at me.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Ray
n5tbu

Re: Kenwood TK-2200 Field Programming

Post by n5tbu »

Turn on self programming in the optional features screen.
KC1FMG

Post by KC1FMG »

I tried that, but there is no option for self programming, just vox and clone mode.

Any other suggestions?
KC1FMG

Post by KC1FMG »

OK, I have more information on this. When I'm using the programming software, and I identify the radio model as a TK-2200L Protalk model (as opposed to the LMR version), then a checkbox appears that allows me to enable self-programming. However, my radio does not appear to be a Protalk model, because if I try to write to the radio with the model set to Protalk, it give me an error saying that I have the wrong model type selected.

If I select the model as TK-2200L (LMR), then the checkbox for self-programming goes away. This seems backwards to me, I thought that the Protalk model did NOT have self-programming mode, but the LMR DID.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks,

Ray
n5tbu

Post by n5tbu »

The protalk radio has pre programmed freqs that the user chooses,the LMR can be programmed to any freq so self programming is not necessary.
surfacemount

Post by surfacemount »

I'm going through this right now.

I'm sure you know this, but always read the radio first, and save that file.

If it self-identifies as a LMR type, that's a normal radio. You cannot keypad program it; that's an FCC thing.

If it self-identifies as a Protalk, then there is a permanent table in the radio, and you can fingerbang it to reorder the table, to include CTCSS.

There is software that will force the radio to be what you want it to be.

I tried to convert a Protalk to a normal radio. It converted all right, but now blinks red, and the PTT causes a tone. That's it. Bricked. LOL

I have no idea how to fix this; putting the correct firmware back into it doesn't help.