53SL Questions

Forum dedicated to discussion on EF Johnson Radio products such as the VP8000, VP6000, VP5000, VM7000, VM6000, radios. Support for Armada software platform.

Moderator: willbartlett

W0VNE

53SL Questions

Post by W0VNE »

I picked up my first of this series. I have lots of info on the 5300 (17 and 18) but zilch on the 53SL. The first thing I notice is that power up seems to click along ok then.... CYCLE POWR shows on the display and seems to stay that way. (Cycling power doesn't change anything)

Anyone with anything on this series? Manuals? Or?
Intrinsically Safe

Re: 53SL Questions

Post by Intrinsically Safe »

Its a problem with being able to read the logic board. Most likely a flex issue. You can cycle power a few times and see if it will finally read but most likely it will keep appearing as it is a hardware issue. You can pop the cover off and try to re-seat the flex strip that connects to the logic, that's about all you can do without sending it in.
Sean Penn: Last year I went to Iraq. Before Team America showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.
W0VNE

53xx Logic board swaping. cycle powr error.

Post by W0VNE »

This is a puzzle. I seem to have created a second radio with the cycle powr error. I took a working 800 Mhz radio and removed the logic board plopped it into a 5317 that had a dead logic board and it gave me the error message. I used tune to turn it into a VHF board and it gave me the error about having 800 MHz channels programmed into a VHF radio. So I programmed one channel with a vhf frequency and now its this cycle powr biz. Its 3 AM but I'm going to reverse the process and see if it works in the original 800 MHz radio after changing it with tune etc.

I must be forgetting a step or 2 or 3. Do I need to erase parm or??? I'm vegging out on this it seems like this works a lot easier with the 5100. where using tune to tell a logic board its VHF then programming VHF channels is enough to make it work (Less tuning of course)
Intrinsically Safe

Re: 53SL Questions

Post by Intrinsically Safe »

Cycle Power is a cover up message for an error where the logic board can't read the Rf board. Most likely due to the flex connection between the two.
reseat the flex and try again.
Sean Penn: Last year I went to Iraq. Before Team America showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.