S-825 dead volume control

Forum dedicated to the Harris PSPC Product group items such as Orion, M7100/M7200/M7300, P7100/P7200/P7300, Harris Unity XG-100, GE Orion, GE Master Repeaters, EDACS Trunking, Pro Voice, PC Configure, RPM, and other topics relating to Harris, MA-Comm, Ericsson, GE products.
kg4bqi

S-825 dead volume control

Post by kg4bqi »

Hello folks,
I've got an S-825 head that has a non-functioning volume control. It works fine otherwise, the display is kind of lame but that's common on these. I use it to program my delta and switch to the s-500 head, but I'd like to fix the volume control and use it so I can have scan and DTMF tones. If I try to use it, sometimes the audio is barely audible, then if I turn it on and back off a couple times, It will be loud enough to hear but not good enough if the windows are down. Turning it up or down does nothing. Is the IO board toast, if so does anybody have one they want to sell? This is the system control head but as far as I know the scan heads also have the same board.
Thanks in advance and 73's
Morgan
Glen W Christen

S825 volume

Post by Glen W Christen »

There are at least 4 IC's involved directly with amplifying and switching the audio. The board is NLA and cost a fortune when available. Good luck.
kg4bqi

Post by kg4bqi »

Figures,
Oh well the hunt continues for another s-825 head to use or steal an i/o board out of. This would probably be the only thing to do since some of the ic's could be very hard to locate. One of these days....
2wayguru

Post by 2wayguru »

Dont give up yet. Do you have audio? if so is it very low and you can not turn it up? If that is the case, pull the I/O board off of the unit, remove the 4 screws that hold the cover off of the head. then unplug the I/O board that is pluged into the EEPROM and mainboard that is in the head, now you should have the 2 halves seperated. Remove the I/O board from the back of the back half, once you have done that there will be 4 IC chips to the right of J2 I think, it is the set of pins that are above the programming pins. Replace the 2 top IC's this will bring your audio back. I have had this problem happen with mine. Let me know if you need more info....
Twowayguru
Certified Motorola Service Technician, Centracom Technician and Mobile Data Technician.
kg4bqi

Post by kg4bqi »

Thanks, for the help. I replaced the volume control ic a while back and managed to mess up several traces on the board (Thanks to Radio Shack for making such a fine desoldering pump which would spring apart after each use). I fixed the traces (I think) and now I have audio, and control of volume, but only beeps, I have no reciever audio at all now, so I fixed one problem and created another. Lot's of fun. I'll just hold out and get another head at a hamfest or something.
Thanks,
Morgan KG4BQI
2wayguru

Post by 2wayguru »

yeah radio shack, the crapiest place to get stuff, 1 they dont know S*&^ and on top of that they sell crap stuff for more money then quality stuff at a real electronics store. I would suggest using solder wick rather then a rat shack pump.. The desolder iron that I have is a pace and it runs about 400.00 and it is air drivin. the same one with a vacuum would be around 800.00, always remember you get what you pay for. I have some I/O boards here that are new but they are for the CHP S810 and S815 heads...
Twowayguru
Certified Motorola Service Technician, Centracom Technician and Mobile Data Technician.