Another Ge Rangr question...

Forum dedicated to the Harris PSPC Product group items such as Orion, M7100/M7200/M7300, P7100/P7200/P7300, Harris Unity XG-100, GE Orion, GE Master Repeaters, EDACS Trunking, Pro Voice, PC Configure, RPM, and other topics relating to Harris, MA-Comm, Ericsson, GE products.
luch

Another Ge Rangr question...

Post by luch »

I also have two Rangr's, one UHF and the other VHF. Is it true that there is some hardware/electrical adjustment to bring the radio into the HAM bands?
And for the UHF, for it to operate in the Ham bands, isn't it suppose to be a wideband model or? How can I check this, part number??

Thanks!!
Need a Modat decoder!!
jim202

Re: Another Ge Rangr question...

Post by jim202 »

You shouldn't have to do anything except play with the VCO adjustments. There is one for the RX and one for the TX.

Program up a control head and download to the radio or get the EEPROM programmed in the radio. Have fun. The low band does have some image issues that you learn to live with. I am told that the VHF also has them. Never really played with a VHF one so don't have any expeience with that model.
n_zero_ndp

Rangrs in the hambands

Post by n_zero_ndp »

I have a 110w hi-band VHF 150-174 split (unsure of the P/N) that is working down to 146 w/o any mod or VCO tweaking whatsoever.

I have a 60w lo-band VHF 35-50 split (19C852050P3) that did require VCO tweaking to get it working at 53 meg. I have not made any other mods that others suggest you make to the PA to keep it from burning up parts. I have not noticed any loss of RF output yet with this radio, but it may be due to being the 60w unit instead of the 110w.

I suppose YRMV... Your Rangr May Vary
KF4SQB

Post by KF4SQB »

To revive an old thread:

I have a 150-174 Rangr that I'm trying to mod for Ham use. I've adjusted the VCO's as far as they will go, and can't get the receive to lock quite all the way to the bottom of the band (app. 145.200 is as low as it will go), or the transmit to lock even at the very top of the band (147.990). Does anyone have any suggestions for what to try?
Brett Kitchens
KF4SQB

kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most.......
KF4SQB

Post by KF4SQB »

To update my problem, I've "padded" the VCO trimmer caps for a higher capacitance, and can now get the VCO's to lock at lower limits, but the bandwidth seems to have dropped off. I'm trying to run a split of 144 to 162, and it just won't quite cover that far. According to factory specs of a 20 MHz spread, it should easily cover that range, and a little beyond. Any ideas where to go from here?
Brett Kitchens
KF4SQB

kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most.......