M-RK upgrade

Forum dedicated to the Harris PSPC Product group items such as Orion, M7100/M7200/M7300, P7100/P7200/P7300, Harris Unity XG-100, GE Orion, GE Master Repeaters, EDACS Trunking, Pro Voice, PC Configure, RPM, and other topics relating to Harris, MA-Comm, Ericsson, GE products.
1 ADAM 12

M-RK upgrade

Post by 1 ADAM 12 »

Is it possible or feasible to take an extra M-RK VHF System radio I have and upgrade a UHF model 1 I have to a UHF System radio... Other than backing up all the files, bins, etc.. and recording all radio tuning and seettings ... what else do I have to do. I have done this numerous times with MPA, MPD radios but never have even considered the M-RK ...any pitfalls or issues.... ????
Glen W Christen

MRK upgrade

Post by Glen W Christen »

It is POSSIBLE. 1) The front covers are interchangeable 2) In Maintenence you have to tell the radio what version it is 3) The proper operating code must be loaded - whether it works or not depends on what is in the present radio.
jim202

Re: MRK upgrade

Post by jim202 »

You would be better off looking for a UHF radio. Trying to mod a VHF to go to the UHF range is like trying to take a Volkswagon and trying to make it into an 18 wheel truck.

Non of the tuned RF circuits in the radio would work. All the RF sections in the radio will need to be changed. Being involved servicing radios for as many years as I have, that would not be practicle to range change a radio that far.

Jim
1 ADAM 12

Thanks

Post by 1 ADAM 12 »

Thanks Glen for the answer... I don't think I am gonna try the swap off.... If it was a Saber or MPD /MPA no problem ...but I don't have enough experience with the M-RK and don't feel like having bricks.... I figured the controller and front could be moved to the appropriate deck but the configuration files for the proper Model I to Model II or scan is not something I am ready to get into... Thanks again

JIM 202 you may want to read my original post.. more carefully ...I wanted to swap controllers from a VHF to a UHF ... not exactly the same as trying to convert the Rf deck to some other band.... In several other models of radio its not to hard to flip flop the controller to the appropriate RF deck if you have proper files and setting and data for tuning ... While I have experience in other models, this is one that I have used but never serviced and wanted to get an idea if it was worth the shot... But thanks
because there will be someone who wants to actually trying and change bands on their radio in a model that is not capable of switching out the RF section and hopefully they will read this... :beer: