5100 Series Portables and Poor Recieve

Forum dedicated to discussion on EF Johnson Radio products such as the VP8000, VP6000, VP5000, VM7000, VM6000, radios. Support for Armada software platform.

Moderator: willbartlett

firemedic

5100 Series Portables and Poor Recieve

Post by firemedic »

Any one have any issues with the 5100 series portables in VHF having poor receive in the "Fringe" areas. One of our captains here complains of troubles in the outer coverage areas of our system the radios not picking up very well. I've loosened the squelch and that helped a little but he still says his Motorola Astro Saber picks up better. Anyone ever delt with these and have any suggestions? Just wondering. Thanks!!!

Keith Dobbins, KC8RFW
Communications Tech
Wood County Sheriff's Office
Wood County, WV
N3UHD

Post by N3UHD »

Have you measured the sensitivity of the radio?
If so, is it meeting the specs?
If so, is it possible that you could do a "side by side" comparison of a radio that "works" in the area in question with the "non-working" radio?
Try a different antenna.

After doing these tests, you'll know if your problem is in the radio or pehaps a condition that is caused by environmental factors.

Unfortunately, I have seen a lot of LEO's that get a major attitude problem if the ardio doesn't have "wings" on it.

Best of luck with your situation.

Bob
Bob
N3UHD
PCIA #38104
...if it ain't broke..don't fix it...
http://www.busrad.com
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own."~ Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Splat

Post by Splat »

Throw it on the monitor and see what's what. Any radio, regardless of brand, won't work too good if its alignment is off.
MOTOROLANUT

Re: 5100 Series Portables and Poor Recieve

Post by MOTOROLANUT »

I use 5100 VHF's at work and don't really have much of a problem with the audio...I agree check the alignment... :)
Yea I know you love my avatars....