MPA Band Split

Forum dedicated to the Harris PSPC Product group items such as Orion, M7100/M7200/M7300, P7100/P7200/P7300, Harris Unity XG-100, GE Orion, GE Master Repeaters, EDACS Trunking, Pro Voice, PC Configure, RPM, and other topics relating to Harris, MA-Comm, Ericsson, GE products.
FiremanSparky

MPA Band Split

Post by FiremanSparky »

Lets get the disclaimer out of the way first. I am not a radio tech. That being said, is it possible to change an MPA with a split of 136-150 MHz to 136-160 MHz? Any help with this question would be great.

Thanks
F
k2hz

Re: MPA Band Split

Post by k2hz »

FiremanSparky wrote:Lets get the disclaimer out of the way first. I am not a radio tech. That being said, is it possible to change an MPA with a split of 136-150 MHz to 136-160 MHz? Any help with this question would be great.

Thanks
F
I am not very familiar with the MPA but I just took a quick look at the service manual.

It may be possible to "stretch" the coverage up to about 152 or 153 with retuning and some possible degradation in performance.

To change the bandsplit from 136-150 "G5" to 146-162 "G1"would require over 20 component changes on the RF circuit board (or replacement of the "G5" board with a "G1") and complete realignment and tracking readjustment. This is not something I would recommend as it would probably greatly exceed the cost of a new radio if you could even find the parts and someone willing to attempt it.

It may also be necessary to "hack" the firmware to get it to accept frequencies above the original range. I am not sure about this for the MPA.

Changing the bandsplit of any radio is generally is not practical other than for a frequency very close to the original band limit.

Dick, K2HZ
FiremanSparky

MPA Band Split

Post by FiremanSparky »

Okay. Thanks for replying

F
n_zero_ndp

Post by n_zero_ndp »

You can program a 136 to 150.8 MPA (PAGCSX - PAGCDX - PAGCPX) out of band by typing in the freqs then pressing CTRL + E. It will accept the freq but the VCO may not lock up.

I can supply the vhf service manual if you are interested......LBI-38385C