Upgrading VX-10 FTT-14 keypad with more memory (EEPROM)

Forum dedicated to discussion on Vertex Commercial Radio products
rkawakami

Upgrading VX-10 FTT-14 keypad with more memory (EEPROM)

Post by rkawakami »

I have been studying my copy of the Vertex VX-10 service manual and
have discovered that it might be possible to increase the normal 40
channel memory of the FTT-14 keypad to 102 channels (the same as
the 16 key DTMF FTT-15 keypad). I have located a source for the
EEPROM and have bought a couple of FTT-14 keypads off of eBay. I
probably should have asked this question here first, but...

Q: Has anyone ever attempted to add the EEPROM to the 2 key FTT-14
keypad (40 channel) and did it increase the channel capacity to 102?

I figured it was worth the $18/keypad and $3 for the new components
to see if this upgrade would work or not. I'll post my results in about
a month (long lead time for the EEPROM) or so.

Ray
rkawakami

Re: Upgrading VX-10 FTT-14 keypad with more memory (EEPROM)

Post by rkawakami »

rkawakami wrote: I'll post my results in about a month (long lead time for the EEPROM) or so.

Ray

Well it didn't take as long as I thought... Is anybody interested in buying a modified FTT-14 keypad that provides an extra 62 channels or having their existing FTT-14 upgraded (for a reasonable cost)?? :)

Please note that you will NOT get the voice scrambling feature, the DTMF capability or the extra two function buttons that you would get with the FTT-15 keypad with this modification.

Update 4/27/05:

I'm still in the process of checking out my mod to make sure that it is totally transparent to the programming software and that all of the new channels work correctly. Since I only have the VX-10 (4X) models (450-485Mhz), I can only attest to the fact that it works for my radios. I would assume that it will work regardless if the radio is VHF or UHF since the documentation I am using does not say anything otherwise. Two possible problems I have encountered: 1) When the modified keypad is installed, the radio will initially power up with an "ERROR 3". This is due to the fact that the default frequencies in the new channels are in the 800Mhz band, something that is quite beyond the range of the radio. 2) The 'group' setup changes from what it was, to a single group of 102 channels. Since I have the CE14 programming software it's easy for me to correct these issues but I don't expect everyone who owns a VX-10 to have this software.

Therefore, I am leaning toward offering three services for this upgrade:

1) The buyer would send me just their FTT-14 keypad and I will install the channel upgrade and return it. The buyer would be responsible for reprogramming the radio. Unless they have a spare keypad, the radio would be out of commission during this period.

2) Selling a 62 channel FFT-14 keypad and leaving the installation and programming up to the buyer (with a possible "core charge" to reduce their final cost if they send me their old keypad). Again, this would require that the buyer have access to the programming software. It also means that they will have a minimum downtime.

3) Have the buyer send me their radio, I will install the upgrade into their existing keypad and re-program the radio however they wish. This is more labor-intensive for me and they will be without a radio for several days. It requires a lot of trust in the shipping service and of a complete stranger (me!) .

I would be using eBay to offer these services as it allows for feedback from buyers as to their experiences and satisfaction with the upgrade. Payment would be through PayPal as it is the most flexible and secure way of sending money.

Cost, you ask? Well, I've seen the standard FTT-14 keypad being offered for sale from rfwiz.com for $40 and the 16-key FTT-15 (with 102 channels) for $56, plus shipping. The two FTT-14s I bought off of eBay were $16 each. Obviously I will have to be competitive with these prices. (BTW, these are the lowest prices I have seen for these keypads. If anyone else knows of a lower price, please contact me.) I am still working out the cost details so expect to see an update here in a few days. Method #1 would be the cheapest and #3 would be the most expensive.

If anyone has questions or comments about any of this, feel free to contact me.

Ray