Federal Signal Smart Siren and the Orion

Forum dedicated to the Harris PSPC Product group items such as Orion, M7100/M7200/M7300, P7100/P7200/P7300, Harris Unity XG-100, GE Orion, GE Master Repeaters, EDACS Trunking, Pro Voice, PC Configure, RPM, and other topics relating to Harris, MA-Comm, Ericsson, GE products.
apco25

Federal Signal Smart Siren and the Orion

Post by apco25 »

Anyone know where to find one of these besides brand new from Federal Signal or MA/COM?

yet another question, is there a difference between the smart siren hookup for the S825 head and the Orion?
jmr964

Post by jmr964 »

Did you ever find out what the exact setup is for the orion using a federal siren?

Jason
n_zero_ndp

Re: Federal Signal Smart Siren and the Orion

Post by n_zero_ndp »

apco25imbe wrote:Is there a difference between the smart siren hookup for the S825 head and the Orion?
Only difference I know of would be the interface cable between the radio & the SS. I know we have a manual at the shop for the Smart Siren, I'll take a look at it.

Just FYI: I heard there may be a guy selling some SS units who posts on the "TwoWayShopper" site. Randy Caldwell in VA (no personal dealings with him - buyer beware).

Ken
jmr964

Post by jmr964 »

I have found out the siren is a SS2000-GE which is an older version and the current version is SS2200-ERCSN or something to that effect. I have no idea how it interfaces though with the Orion. Anyone know?

Jason
n_zero_ndp

Post by n_zero_ndp »

jmr964 wrote:I have found out the siren is a SS2000-GE which is an older version and the current version is SS2200-ERCSN or something to that effect. I have no idea how it interfaces though with the Orion. Anyone know?

Jason
The SS2000-ERCSN(1) interfaces with the ORION through P4 of the Extended Option remote mount accessory cable 19B802554P7. The SS uses a DB9 connector labeled "CONTROL". Federal Signal offers a factory cable that interfaces with the DB25 on your accessory cable.

Ken
Glen W Christen

Federal siren

Post by Glen W Christen »

The new siren pack ships with cables for both S825 & Orion.
PhaseLockedLunatic

Post by PhaseLockedLunatic »

So has anyone managed to use a standard SS2000 with any of the GE or M/A-Com stuff? Other than the control cable connector, what would have to be changed to make it work....I wonder.

Post by 007 »

I've got an Orion/SS setup...just installed:

I'm trying to figure out the siren end of things. The light controls work fine, as far as the System head firing the relays on the smart siren...however, the PA/airhorn/siren doesn't work. The buttons are enbaled on the system head, but the SS ignores them. How/what do I need to look at to program the serial data? Is it in the "External I/O" menu?

I am using ProGrammer, and the SmartSiren is the SS2000-ERCSN1 w/park kill.
The serial bus on my Orion is working for it's money.
Glen W Christen

Federal Siren

Post by Glen W Christen »

You have to program the function for the button as well: in Programmer, under options, go to siren/light functions. Each button is programmed as an S/L 1-8, or as a siren function, which you have to turn on. You also have to specifiy each function as toggle or momentary.

Post by 007 »

I did figure out what the problem was...

I had the siren function tied to the ignition sense line, which I did not have hooked up so the siren thought it never had power and wouldn't work.

1 box un-checked in Programmer took care of it, and the entire system works great.
The serial bus on my Orion is working for it's money.
russellstrei

Post by russellstrei »

Hey Guys I was wondering i have a ss2000-ercsn, an scan head on my radio. I was wondering if it has to be the system head. i programmed the buttons like the emergency button for sl1 but it dosnt work. so again does it have to have the system model.

Thanks if you could email me at

Russellstrei@gmail.com that would be great

thanks
JungleJim

Post by JungleJim »

You need to check three jumpers in the control head. Undo the four T-10 torx screws and the head comes apart. The RIA board is the one on the back half with the two DB25's on it. There are three jumpers. To make the head talk to the siren the jumpers need to be set to "B", "D", and "F" with "A", "C", and "E" removed. This switches the serial data lines from the option connector to go to the head. The default way sends the data to the radio for MDT operation.
A911Pro

Post by A911Pro »

Hi, I have a Orion dual radio w/ss2000 setup and all seem to work fine but for some reason I cannot find how to control external PA volume. The Federal manual says it's controlled via the head but there is no information that I have found in the GE manuals on how to set the volume. The PA works as intended but the volume is low. Ideas anyone?