tkr-820

Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Commercial Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

azFIREguy

tkr-820

Post by azFIREguy »

I bought a tkr-820 and plan on puting it up on GMRS. Since this repeater is only a 25w I was thinking of getting a amp to run it a 50w. This will be my first repeater so I am looking for some info of what would be a good amp for this. Thanks
Sex at age 90 is like trying to shoot pool with a rope
k2hz

Post by k2hz »

Why do you think you need a power amplifier?

The improvement from the additional 3db of transmitter power will be barely noticeable. Unless you have 50W mobile units, the mobile talk back range will be of more concern. Increasing the transmitter output power may even cause receiver desenitzation problems unless you have a top quality duplexer.

Your money is better spent on a good antenna, hardline and duplexer which are critical to good repeater performance.
n5tbu

Post by n5tbu »

The 820 will run 10 watts continious,so It could use a 50 watt amp,best value amp that I know of is a Heneryn Amp.
mod
Boomer740

Post by Boomer740 »

I support a handful of these TKR-820s at my facility, they're good repeaters.

K2HZ is right, for your money you'd be better off buying a high-gain vertical antenna and some good feedline. You can find many gain antennas that will outperform the 3dB a 50 watt amp will offer you over your transmitter's 25 watt output.

My applications are industrial, I tend to over-spec my systems just a bit in terms of what's outdoors. I've had very good luck with Decibel Products DB633 antenna (http://www.allentelecom.com/products/an ... 633-C.aspx) which is a 3dB gain vertical, they also make radome enclosed UHF vertical antennas of a similar nature with gains as high as 8dB.

I mostly use Times LMR feedline for my applications, my UHF repeaters are using LMR900 (http://www.timesmicrowave.com/content/pdf/lmr/32-35.pdf).

If you're looking for a vendor, you might try Talley Communications in Phoenix. I've done business with Talley here in the LA basin for a few years, and while you can maybe find stuff a bit cheaper elsewhere, I like the after-sale customer support I get from them. (http://www.talleycom.com/MoreInfo/drivedirect.html)

The TKR-820 is a solid, stable repeater system. Mine have been in service for several years and we've had absolutely no trouble at all with them.

Good luck!

Paul
azFIREguy

Post by azFIREguy »

k2hz wrote:Why do you think you need a power amplifier?
I don't for sure yet, just wanted to look into it just in case I do need it. I mostly just wanted to get a general idea of what other are using.
Sex at age 90 is like trying to shoot pool with a rope