Strange programming problem

Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Commercial Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

KF4SQB

Strange programming problem

Post by KF4SQB »

I'm having a strange problem when trying to program my TK-630's. If I try to use an old 25 MHz 486 running DOS 6.22, I can't read from or write to the radio. With a 550 MHz Pentium III running DOS 6.22, ditto. However, if I try to use my 600 MHz Pentium III dual-processor system running Windows XP Pro, it works! Well, it sorta' works. I usually have to tell it to read/write two to three times before it will. What the heck is going on here?
Brett Kitchens
KF4SQB

kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most.......
n9gik
Site Supporter

Post by n9gik »

I have a similar weird problem programming a mobile (forget the exact model right now) If I try and retry after about 3 times it works. Have yet to figure out why or what.

Gotta run. I hear thunder in the distance and need to bring 2 computers down now!
I don't know much about 2-way radios but I'm over 50 and can't remember not having one around. Everything from Buddy and Citi-fone to Icom and Kenwood.
avtarsingh

Post by avtarsingh »

are you sure your programming cable isn't intermittent?

maybe a loose connection - trd line loose etc ?

any luck on finding that 2 data line to 1 data line converter ?

:wink:
KF4SQB

Post by KF4SQB »

avtarsingh wrote:are you sure your programming cable isn't intermittent?

maybe a loose connection - trd line loose etc ?

any luck on finding that 2 data line to 1 data line converter ?

:wink:

Well, if it wasn't for the fact that it won't work at all on the first two systems I mentioned, I would suspect the same thing. Also, I have programmed a few TK-350's with the same interface (homebrew, of course) with no trouble on the 25 MHz 486 I mentioned before.

As for the schematic of the 'converter', I've been going pretty well constantly and havn't had time yet. Maybe things will calm down around here in a day or two and I can look.
Brett Kitchens
KF4SQB

kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most.......
Splat

Post by Splat »

Sounds like an IRQ conflict with the serial port, which the one machine may not have which is why it works for you. Could be TSRs running that could also interfere with communications. Any time slices that mess with the serial port is great for screwing up a radio when trying to read/write it.