EFJ Ascend Portable Radios

Forum dedicated to discussion on EF Johnson Radio products such as the VP8000, VP6000, VP5000, VM7000, VM6000, radios. Support for Armada software platform.

Moderator: willbartlett

jsikora

EFJ Ascend Portable Radios

Post by jsikora »

Our FD currently has Viking CM and 8587 portables for multi-net. We lost 4 in 2 incidents last week (Fire and lake call). I was now told they are long gone and the new unit is the Ascend.

How are these units ? Also what software and programming cables do I need to purchase for these ?

Does this radio allow multi-channel conventional banks on 800 Mhz ? We got 2 other portables from EFJ that would not let us program in the NMA freqs. we als have this issue with our Summits. Right now the only way we can use these freqs is in our old CM's.

JAS
WMFD
jim202

Re: EFJ Ascend Portable Radios

Post by jim202 »

If your talking about the 5100 series portables, they are easy to use,
easy to program and take considerable abuse. These same radios
are used by the military with a slightly different internal version.
They have encryption built in.

The software is fairly simple to use once you get use to it. The
programming cable connects to the protable where the speaker
mic connects. It goes to the serial port on the computer. The
software is a windows compatible program. The same program
is used on the 5300 series mobiles. Only you need an interface
box to program the mobiles. It also connects to the computer
serial port.

Jim

[quote="jsikora"]Our FD currently has Viking CM and 8587 portables for multi-net. We lost 4 in 2 incidents last week (Fire and lake call). I was now told they are long gone and the new unit is the Ascend.

How are these units ? Also what software and programming cables do I need to purchase for these ?

Does this radio allow multi-channel conventional banks on 800 Mhz ? We got 2 other portables from EFJ that would not let us program in the NMA freqs. we als have this issue with our Summits. Right now the only way we can use these freqs is in our old CM's.

JAS
WMFD[/quote]