upgraded to KCH-5 and now can't read radio

Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Commercial Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

znb10

upgraded to KCH-5 and now can't read radio

Post by znb10 »

Please help. I have removed the R156 chip and the R33 was already removed. I also put both replacement chips in the right direction. Put the radio back into my truck and the software will not read the radio. I have used the same computer, software and cable to read and write to this radio before the mods.
znb10

Post by znb10 »

if no one knows what may be going on, then will putting the original chips back in the radio and remote head make it back into a 32ch radio or will the missing R156 mess it up.
ka7wnf

kch5

Post by ka7wnf »

With new chips there is nothing to read, they are blank. Just write to the radio. pl
znb10

Post by znb10 »

I have tried to write to it also and get the same response. Check connection.
Meatball

Post by Meatball »

Did you make sure you had the software configured for a 160 channel radio when you tried programming it? Try going into MODEL and changing the model to the 160 channel model. If it says "Model/Type Mismatch," just hit okay and write to it.

Under models, it says on the last line "160 channel full." There is no "160 channel basic model", so you need to have the KCH-4 full head for it to work.
znb10

Post by znb10 »

It is not saying model/type mismatch. it is saying error check connection. I do have the full alphanumeric head kch-4. The 160 full is also selected. I am still dumb founded by this error. I know the cable, software, and computer work. They have been used to program this radio just 4-5 days ago. It would read and write and now will not do either. I know it is in program mode because it says it on the screen. The sounds are not active either, including power on, program, and the romote head buttons. Any ideas will gladly be tried. Thanks Zach