CTCSS (channel guard) issues on ranger

Forum dedicated to the Harris PSPC Product group items such as Orion, M7100/M7200/M7300, P7100/P7200/P7300, Harris Unity XG-100, GE Orion, GE Master Repeaters, EDACS Trunking, Pro Voice, PC Configure, RPM, and other topics relating to Harris, MA-Comm, Ericsson, GE products.
iw3row

CTCSS (channel guard) issues on ranger

Post by iw3row »

Dear all!

I have a ranger UHF with S850 control head, succesfully modified for amateour radio bands.

The only things still not working, that I can't find the way to solve are the following:

1. even if I set (EDACS1 programmer) the channel guard tone in RX on the frequency list, the squelch open with carrier only! Is there any other option to enable CTCSS (analog tone, no digital) decoding???

2. setting a channel guard in TX the radio generates a short delay (approx 500ms. after i release the PTT button) before ending the transmission.
Is it possible to set/remove it???

Many thanks in advance for your help!
iw3row

Post by iw3row »

Point 1 solved by myself... It's the "microphone off hook switch" function! The rx tone decoding woks only when is supposed that you don't have the microphone in your hands!
If you press the small switch on the back of the microphone, you'll hear the channel communications only if the correct tone is transmitted.

Point 2, the TX delay using a tone in tx... hope someone has an idea about that :gojerry:
k2hz

Post by k2hz »

iw3row wrote:Point 2, the TX delay using a tone in tx... hope someone has an idea about that :gojerry:
The TX post delay is the STE (Squelch Tail Elimination) feature. It sends a reverse tone burst between PTT release and unkey.

I don't have programming info for the RANGR but the DELTA has the option STE ON/OFF on a per channel basis.
iw3row

Post by iw3row »

Thanks for your answer: now I understand! For sure that's the function I need to eliminate, but... unfortunately on the edacs1 programmer I can't see anything that could help. I'll continue serching if there is any setup to kill the ste option!
jim202

Post by jim202 »

Why do you want to remove the 500 milisecond hang time after you release the PTT on the transmitter? Anyone that uses CTCSS in a radio system knows that you need to send the reverse burst to mute the distant end receiver. If you don't send the reverse burst, you might as well go back to carrier squelch.

Jim

[quote="iw3row"]Thanks for your answer: now I understand! For sure that's the function I need to eliminate, but... unfortunately on the edacs1 programmer I can't see anything that could help. I'll continue serching if there is any setup to kill the ste option![/quote]
k2hz

Post by k2hz »

A lot of systems run without the STE feature. It does not affect the primary purpose of tone squelch which is to eliminate interference from co-channel users.

So, without STE you hear the burst of noise as the squelch closes instead of silence at the end of a transmission. To me, that "squelch tail" noise burst is less annoying than the "courtesy beeps" that some systems now use to let you know the transmission has ended.
iw3row

Post by iw3row »

The "reverse burst" is an old idea and it was widely used with old ctcss decoders. Most of the recent decoders integrated in the amateour radios does not respond correctly to the phase change of the STE function, so you get the squelch noise + tx delay!

I would like to set the STE only when I get a benefit, but I can't find in the programmer any option to disable it! Also hardware mods are not simple because the tone chip, ptt, etc... are directly controlled by the micro via software.
If anyone has an idea on how to disable... maybe an hidden function in the programmer?

Thanks all for your help!
k2hz

Post by k2hz »

I can't find any information on the RANGR, but in the DELTA the STE function is controlled by the offset value of the last digit of the RX frequency for the channel:

A hex 0 added to that value = STE ON and a hex 4 = STE OFF

Example: 154.870 would be 621E22 and if entered with no change to the last digit TX STE would be enabled.
If entered as 621E26 the RX would still be 154.870 but TX STE would be disabled on that channel. Offsets of the first digit of the RX hex code determine TX/RX squelch type with default 0 = tone squelch.

The Phoenix used a slighlty different system but the STE information was embeded in the RX CG data for each channel.

When you start the Phoenix TQ2310 programmer, it asks: "Channel Guard Desired Y/N" and if "Y" then "Select STE Option: 1. disable STE all ch, 2. enable STE all ch, 3. select STE for each ch. "

These options are part of the initial set up. If you do not select "3" it will not ask again during programming and will default the STE value per option 1 or 2.

Check carefully the options when you start your RANGR software and see if you can find the STE function as an option when you select squelch type. It may be that EDACS software does not allow STE to be disabled on a conventional channel.
iw3row

Post by iw3row »

Your information sounds good ;) I have also the delta sw and I compared the hex file generated... I'll try this way to modify the data before to upload in the eeprom. Thanks again!