Batteries are dying alll over the place

Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Commercial Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

n9gik
Site Supporter

Batteries are dying alll over the place

Post by n9gik »

Our little VFD got a grant a couple years ago for radio equipment. The HT's are Kenwood 272g's with KNB15A batteries. We've just had an absolute rash of battery failures recently. Most common complaint is "I put it in the charger and it flashes red and won't charge"

2 questions:

1. Can I do anything to revitalize them?

2. How do I properly dispose of them?
I don't know much about 2-way radios but I'm over 50 and can't remember not having one around. Everything from Buddy and Citi-fone to Icom and Kenwood.
Meatball

Post by Meatball »

Yes, you may be able to condition the batteries. There are many manufacturers of such battery analyzers/battery conditioners. We use the iTech ones, but there are many to choose from.

http://www.itecheng.com/BSSLMR.htm

Check with your local two-way or ham shop. We have a disposal service and usually dispose of customers' batteries for them. Unless it was a huge quantity, your local shop would probably be happy to toss them in the recycling bins for you.
Splat

Post by Splat »

It's definitely possible you DID get a bad batch. My buddy's EMS crew all got new batteries and all but two were bad. They sent them back to the manufacturer for replacements. How old at the batteries? I'd send them back if they're less than 2-3 months old.
n9gik
Site Supporter

They are about 2 years old

Post by n9gik »

Except for one new one that failed before putting in use they are all proven batteries. I was told the average life wold be about 2 years, which means 1-4 for some unknown reason. It's just that I have about a dozen setting n a box right now that one day just decided not to take a charge.
Last edited by n9gik on Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't know much about 2-way radios but I'm over 50 and can't remember not having one around. Everything from Buddy and Citi-fone to Icom and Kenwood.
Splat

Re: They are about 2 years old

Post by Splat »

n9gik wrote:I was told the average life wold be about 2 years, which meand 1-4 for some unknown reason.
Interesting about them going at once. Regarding their lifespan, it all depends upon the individual cells' conditions, how many times and how they are recharged, temperature of the cells when being charged...... If I was the manufacturer I wouldn't give you a concrete LOS either because too many factors involved.
n5tbu

Post by n5tbu »

If you got 2 years out of a portable battery,you did good! They usually last a year,concidering they almost never get cycled.Off the charger for a short run,then back on the charger is the norm......not good practice for good battery life.
mod
nmfire10

Post by nmfire10 »

They are a few years old. Their time is just up. It is kind of like how defib batteries all die at the same time.