Narrow band & Tk-X30 seris mobiles

Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Commercial Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

rwo978

Narrow band & Tk-X30 seris mobiles

Post by rwo978 »

Our vollie group is switching to narrowband very soon, I've heard as soon as October. There's a couple members, myself included, who have TK-830s in their vehicles. I have the spec sheet for the 30 mobiles which lists narrowband as an option. How can I tell if these mobiles are compliant or not? Is the (G) the defining factor for this? .....as my 830 is and "TK-830-1." Also, my setup is a dual band, so I've got a TK-730 as well that is a "TK-730-1." If I do have to switch decks, do I have to switch the V deck as well, or can I have narrowband on one and wideband on the other?

Thanks!!!!
Ryan
KC0MOZ
rwo978@hotmail.com (use this e-mail, not other)
Meatball

Re: Narrow band & Tk-X30 seris mobiles

Post by Meatball »

You are right. It's the "G" that denotes whether or not a 30 series radio is narrow-band capable. As far as I know, you can mix and match narrow and wide-band radios in a dual radio setup, although you'll have to configure both radios using the narrow-band capable template, which is done through the setup menu on the software. Unfortunately, in order to make a W/N personality, you'll have to start from scratch and write the whole personality over again.

I haven't run a dual radio setup with one radio being a G and the other a non-G, but I'm pretty sure it would work. Maybe others can relate from actual experience though (I could be wrong, as usual).
rwo978

Re: Narrow band & Tk-X30 seris mobiles

Post by rwo978 »

I gathered the (G) was the deciding factor. Guess I will have to round up 2 of these U decks and possibly a V deck (I'll try the different ones first in case I don't have to switch).
Ryan
KC0MOZ
rwo978@hotmail.com (use this e-mail, not other)