Dual Band Radio?

Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Commercial Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

Bobcat

Dual Band Radio?

Post by Bobcat »

Our Search & Rescue is thinking of putting a Dual Band (VHF/UHF) radio at the Incident Commander's workstation in our Mobile Command Post. We would like to stay with Kenwood because of the programming and similar operation. We don't need a new high tech radio but a Dual Band with remote head would be nice. Any suggestions?
Thank you, Steve.
America . . . Love It or, . . Leave IT!
Bob

Post by Bob »

Depends on whether you're looking for new or used. I'd suggest either a 730/830 setup or a 790/890 setup.

The x30 is not available new, so you'd have to go the eBay route. I'd also suggest finding drawers that are narrowband compliant. (model number should end in -H) I picked up the pieces for a 630/830 setup (lowband & UHF) for about $500.

The x90 is available new. There have also been a few of them on the used market of late. The x90 is essentially the upgraded replacement for the x30 series. The cost is considerably more though.

Either setup is very solid. If you need extra features though, you're better off with the x90. The x30 has a very basic feature set.
Bobcat

DUAL HEAD / DUAL BAND ?????

Post by Bobcat »

Thanks, we currently have a set of TK-730/830 radios for our "Main Radio". Both are "H" models. Does that mean they can be used as narrow band. If so do I have to change the channel spread in the programming?
What about this idea?
We have the 730/830H's setup with a remote 160 channel alphanumeric head. We also have another alphanumeric head and an extra 25' cable. Can we set these radios up as a DUAL HEAD / DUAL BAND unit???? What kit, if this can be done, do we need????
n5tbu

Post by n5tbu »

The H means high power.It neds a G in the model to be narrow band capable.
mod
ka7wnf

dual bander

Post by ka7wnf »

In the software there is no option for dual band dual head radios. It's one or the other. The 90 series will do it however. But who has that kind of money? The H designates high power, the G's are narrow band radios.
Bob

Post by Bob »

n5tbu wrote:The H means high power.It neds a G in the model to be narrow band capable.
What he said :) That's what I get for doing these things at funny hours.
Splat

Post by Splat »

You may be dead set on Kenwoods, but I know guys using the Vertex VX6000 in dual-band - single head setups and they like it. High power, pretty rugged, and the programming stuff ain't that costly(better than Motherola).
Bobcat

Post by Bobcat »

No not dead set on Kenwood. It's just that the Main Radio is the TK-730/830 and the Driver's radio is a TK-780. I was just trying to KISS the operation. Still looking at options.
Thanks for the input.
Splat

Post by Splat »

Well, the Kennies and Vertex VX6000 heads look very similar. Unless you're doing status/msg sending or something that might partake a certain key sequence on that particular radio, basic ops on both should be the same. I personally love my Kenwoods. The x90 series is pretty solid but I don't know anyone using a x90 dual-band setup. The Vertex I do though, and they seem to like the setup.