TK 380 Field Programming?

Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Commercial Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

brisk13026

TK 380 Field Programming?

Post by brisk13026 »

I have a TK380, Ver. 2 W/DTMF pad. Is it field programmable (or can be modified to be) and if it is, does anybody have the instructions to do so and be willing to share with me? - I can trade ( pdf. file) the field programmming instuctions for a TK 3140 if needed.
Thanks!
BH
jsikora

tk380

Post by jsikora »

Did this ever get answered. I was told it was able to be done. I programmed it via software to do it, but still can't get it to work. Is there a diode that needs removed as in other series ?

BTW, mine is a TK280 (VHF Model)

JAS
azFIREguy

Post by azFIREguy »

Yes the tk-280, and tk-380 are able to be feild programmed. You don't even have to use the DTMF key pad for programming. There is a resistor that has to be removed in order to field program this radio plus it must be enabled in the software. I will try to get some pic's on here of what diode must be removed to acomplish this.

***UPDATE***

I was unable to get a good picture of this. However you must open up the radio. On the the backside of the second board there is is a resistor that says [R144] this must be removed. You can use a pair of tweezers for this. Put the radio back together. Now enable the self program in the software.

Once you have completed the modification push and hold the botton below the PTT while turning on the radio. The screen will then say SELF PROG At this point if you would like to change any on the botton functions push the botton below the PTT again. Then use the B or C botton to select the botton to be changed. Once you get to the botton you want changed use the channel select knob to scroll though the options. Then push the B botton to accept the change.

To change the frequency get back to the SELF PROG agian and then push the botton above the PTT. Then push the C botton to select the group and channel to be changed. Then push the B botton to enter the frequency information. Then scroll though to the information you want to change. Once you are done changing your infomation simply turn off the radio and turn it back on.

***NOTE***

YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO CHANGE OR IN PUT CHANNEL NAME WITH THIS FEILD PROGRAM METHOD. ONLY THE SOFTWARE CAN BE USED FOR THIS.

I will not take any responsablity for any damage to your radio if you mess it up. I have done this mod to all of my tk-280's and tk-380's with and without the DTMF keypad on the radio.

I hope this helps you out with your question
Sex at age 90 is like trying to shoot pool with a rope
azFIREguy

Post by azFIREguy »

BTT
dmonty83

tk-3180

Post by dmonty83 »

Can you do something like this with a TK-3180??? Thanks.
DES-AJ

Post by DES-AJ »

Does anyone know why this diode was there in the first place? Does taking it out disable anything or just add self programming?
DES-AJ

Post by DES-AJ »

I just bit the bullet and did it and I'm very happy! works better than the self programming on the 370G! You an actully edit whats already in the radio from the pc programming! 1 radio down 5 to go!!! :D

Thanks for the info mate!
azFIREguy

Post by azFIREguy »

no problem!! I learned this from a comm tech for BLM on a wildland fire when they brought in a type 2 team and changed all the operating frequencies and I didn't have my laptop to change it with. Just thought I would pass it along.
DES-AJ

Post by DES-AJ »

Cool! I did the same with one of my 3140s with the service manuel appendum that has the details and skematics and now the bugger wont start, the display flashes for a split second and sometimes the radio will turn on but it has a problem with being more than 20% reliable at turning on and sometimes not at all... I'm trying to diagnois the issue at the moment.. Any ideas on what it could be? Not blaming you it was my own fault for getting bold haha

I sucked up a bit more of the solder from the solder pads on the track and it worked forawhile on and off as soon as I took the battery off and put the steel RF shield on, it shutoff and now the display is just blinking for a split second during turn on... Least theirs signs of life but any ideas?
azFIREguy

Post by azFIREguy »

I never had that happen to me. I have done several tk 2140 and 3140 radios with this mod and all worked great.
DES-AJ

Post by DES-AJ »

Did you desolder or use tweezers? :lol:
azFIREguy

Post by azFIREguy »

tweezers on all of them. I didn't want to desolder any thing else.
WC4RAV

Post by WC4RAV »

DES-AJ wrote:Does anyone know why this diode was there in the first place? Does taking it out disable anything or just add self programming?
to comply with FCC part 90 regulations. LMR radios aren't supposed to be "field programmed" and to get part 90 certification, the manufacturers usually put such hardware restrictions like this in place. Even the old Icom U-16 had to be "modiified" by jumper on the logic board to allow the infamous "x on the keypad" programming.