tk 280 programing problem?

Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Commercial Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

ems357

tk 280 programing problem?

Post by ems357 »

Is it possible to re-program a 280 too many times?

I’ve been experimenting with the kpg49d program and have re-programmed the radio a multitude of times.
A few problems kept popping up, now it isn't working so well.
First, I couldn’t manual tune into a few channels but they come up when on scanning only.
Now, the LED indicator lights but the radio doesn’t receive or switch to the active channel.

Did I make it into a door chock?
azFIREguy

Post by azFIREguy »

you didn't mess with the tune apart of the radio did you? did you try to start with a new codeplug and write that into the radio?
Sex at age 90 is like trying to shoot pool with a rope
k2hz

Post by k2hz »

There is no limit on how many times you can reprogram if it is done properly. But, writing data to the radio is always risky if anything goes wrong during the process.

If you are attempting to run DOS software under windows or even windows software on a PC with other programs running or your cable connections are poor or the radio power supply is not stable you WILL eventually corrupt the data and kill the radio.

If you mess with the tuning mode without proper test equipment and a thorough understanding of the procedures, disaster is almost inevitable.
Firmware flash upgrades are very risky.

If you can not reload the original code plug data saved from before you messed with the radio, it looks like it needs a trip to a Kenwood repair shop.
ems357

Post by ems357 »

Well, I rewrote all the data from scratch. Named it a different file and everything is ok. I reviewed the problem file a thousand times and didn’t see where the problem was. Sent it to someone and they couldn’t fine the problem either. It’s a moot point now but I was saved from a trip to a dealer.
Thanks for you input.

Mark