Kenwood TK480 Programming Problem.

Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Commercial Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

Alex
Site Administrator

Kenwood TK480 Programming Problem.

Post by Alex »

I have a set of 6 TK480 Portables that I'm trying to program... I have version 3.x for dos, and a cable, howerver, the radios will not read or program. I'm using a pure dos (6.22) laptop, and serial cable to do the programming.

Any suggestions?
n5tbu

Re: Kenwood TK480 Programming Problem.

Post by n5tbu »

I pulled the manual thinking that there was a program mode procedure,Not the case.
The PC software does it for you. Has that cable and/or PC worked on other Kenwoods?
A few Kenwood models were changed in production and needed a new software which was backwards compatable,you may have the old software and newer radios.
mod
n5tbu

Post by n5tbu »

I just checked my software and see the 480 and 880 are the same software.I know for a fact the 880 followed the above post and the old software would not work,prob is your problem with your 480's.
mod
J.SANOR

Post by J.SANOR »

you need to be using KPG35D for the 480's
Alex
Site Administrator

Post by Alex »

We have no other kenwood radios to even test the cable with. I have another factory cable that I can try later and see if that's the issue itself.

The screen does change if you try and read the radio - but the software just errors out. So IDK what the problem is. Annoying to say the least! At least Motorola stuff isn't this annoying to program.

The software I have will let me create a new codeplug for the radio, and the model number matches - so without having the computer in front of me, we simply have what software the dealer gave to us. IT should be "right" in theory.

-Alex
n5tbu

Post by n5tbu »

Alex,when you create a new codeplug and try to program it in...what happens? do you get a model type mismatch?
mod
Alex
Site Administrator

Post by Alex »

n5tbu wrote:Alex,when you create a new codeplug and try to program it in...what happens? do you get a model type mismatch?
mod
No, it won't even let me write to the radio - just comes up with a comm error.
rajg

Post by rajg »

I use KPG-49D V4.01, windows version with no problem. If you're using KPG-35D DOS version it's for TK480 1.0 radios only according to the Kenwood web site.
Rich
N6EY

Post by N6EY »

I hope you found the problem. To clear it up:

For V1.0 - KPG-35D (white triangle in the "W" of Kenwood on the label)
For V2.0 - KPG-49D (red triangle).

You can also check the label on the back of the chassis.