Aftermarket Portable antennas

Forum dedicated to discussion on Vertex Commercial Radio products
NodrogCop

Aftermarket Portable antennas

Post by NodrogCop »

Looking for an aftermarket antenna for the VX900V. I just received an Antenex, but it doesn't fit. It doesn't have a "hood" of extra material to cover the base of the radio when it's attached. Does anyone have any suggestions?

My factory one got bent 90 degrees at work, and I'm looking for something other than the tapered antenna.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Gordon
n7dal

Post by n7dal »

I would suggest the Vertex ATV-6XL which is tougher than the tapered one. The XL version is untuned, you cut it to the length needed according to the chart. It looks more like a HT1000 antenna. Also a lot like the Kenwood TK290 antenna.
Tom in D.C.

VX900 antennas

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Gordon,

I got a new FT60R recently, which has a nice SMA/Vertex/hooded antenna that works well on both bands. I liked it so much that I ordered another one and now use it on my VX900V and I could use it on my 900U if need be. The antenna is about 7 or 8 inches long but it also does have the proper bottom hood for the Vertex antenna mounting.

Also makes the radio look like an 800 mHz unit, which I think confuses the hell out of some people who see it, which is good - - I think.

Regards,

Tom in D.C.
W2NJS